PARENTS:What can parents do to make the game of soccer more enjoyable for their children and other people's kids, too?
1. Be knowledgeable of the game.
2. Encourage fair play at home.
3. Be supportive; i.e. be sure the player attends practices - pick him/her up on time.
4. Attend games.
5. Be positive or quiet at games.
6. Be respectful; expect your own children to be respectful.
7. Focus on good nutrition.
8. Volunteer to help the coach.
9. Become a referee.
10. Play the game of soccer.
11. Be calm and have good manners.
12. Support the coach's and referee's decisions.
13. Encourage communication between coach and parent.
14. Ask your own children to describe his/her role, what new skills have been learned.
15. Watch practices; focus on new strategies.
16. Find soccer videos, watch them with children.
17. Concentrate on praising other people's children during games.
18. Read newspaper articles about older soccer player's successes; provide models for your own children.
Soccer ... the game is for kids!
What role should the referee, coach and parents play?
Sportsmanship is one of the core values of Shawnee Youth Soccer, and we pride ourselves on striving to set the standard for which proper etiquette is adhered. REFEREES, COACHES and PARENTS together have an enormous impact on the lives of millions of youth soccer players in the United States - therefore, it is important to understand how each of us can help serve the best interest of these impressionable young players.
This document was created in response to an overwhelming number of questions asked about how the "adults" can more positively impact youth soccer players. While each parent must be accountable for their actions and teach his son or daughter to do the same, referees, coaches and parents form a trio of role models from which many of our young men and women learn behaviors that they will carry into adulthood. Cooperation, respect and maturity among the adults in soccer will help to encourage those same qualities in our players.
Shawnee Soccer Association
P.O. Box 1721
Shawnee, OK 74802-1721
(405) 501- 5695
Shawnee Soccer Association © 2013